Subscribe to BAVI World Tour!

Google Groups
Subscribe to BAVIWorldTour!
Email:
Visit this group

Monday, October 31, 2011

The Dead Sea


Avi floating in the Dead Sea
The Dead Sea is the one of the saltiest bodies of water and the lowest point on earth (1,388 feet below sea level). This inland sea is named because it’s so salty that there are no living creatures in it. The sea has 8.6 times higher salt concentration than ocean water. The Dead Sea is so salty because it has no outlets. While the water evaporates, the salt remains and builds up.

Salt-covered rock
Dead Sea shore
Salt-covered Dead Sea shore
Salt water has a higher density than fresh water. You float easily because you move the heavy water downwards and it pushes upwards trying to fill in the space. That’s why things float much better in salt water.  The Dead Sea is extremely salty and therefore extremely dense making things very buoyant.  Being in the Dead Sea felt almost unreal to me, I could stand straight up and the water would take me off my feet onto my stomach or back. I found it amazing that with no effort I could float.  It also occurred to me that I could use the resistance to swim very fast, even while doggie paddling. The only thing was I had to be careful not to get any water on my face, because it’s so salty it can burn your eyes, ears, nose or mouth.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Avi:

    I just can't help it to be amazingly surprise at the way you write. It is simply incredible. I remember so well when you were only 3 or 4 years of age, and look at you now, so grown up. When we less realize you'll be a big man.
    I'm so happy for you all that you were able to take thst trip. I miss you all too much but the results are incredibly immense.

    Hope to see you very soon, but not before you (all) accomplish your goals. By the way who took the pictures? they are gorgeous and say a lot.. Many, many kisses to you all de,

    Abuela/Mami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avi,
    You write beautifully and the Dead Sea looks like a lot of fun. It was so good to Skype with all of you yesterday.
    Love, Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete